The monastery square fountain was created in 1700 by demolition of 4 houses.
The monastery square fountain was created in 1700 by demolition of 4 houses. Already in 1707 some residents of the square asked their gracious lords to install a fountain. But only in 1738 the monastery square received a stone fountain. In 1828, the fountain was renewed, and the octagonal plate trough from 1589, which until then had served as a fish fountain on the market square, was placed here anew. The stick was made new and on it the vase from the fountain of 1738 was placed again.
Each of the 11 fountains in the city has its own history. The figures served to educate the people. Learn more about the strict rules of water supply in old Solothurn on the fountain tour. A fountain tour is a great idea. Book right here.
Good to know
- The 11 fountains and their history can also be discovered on an individual tour of Solothurn's old town.