Carnival in Solothurn
19.02.2020 – 26.02.2020
In Solothurn carnival is said to have been celebrated since the 15th century. With their beautiful costumes and sumptuous floats, the carnival processions used to resemble, in a modest way, a carnival of Nice. The Solothurn carnival season begins on 13 January at the so-called Hilari.
With the Hilaritag the cheerful time begins. From this day Solothurn becomes "Honolulu" and Rathausgasse becomes "Eselsgasse". The motto for the carnival 2020 has already been found and reads: "Jo säg au".
Good to know
- Monday 13. January 2020: Hilari
- "Dirty" Thursday: 05:00h Chesslete, 14.31h Kids parade
- Carnival Friday: On Friday evening the GUSO Guggen will circulate in the city and give a square concert on Märetplatz at fixed times.
- Carnival Saturday: Saturday is an official carnival day for everyone. On Saturday, Guggen from all over Switzerland can be heard in Solothurn.
- Carnival Sunday: The Solothurn Carnival parade begins punctually with the cannon shot at 2.31 p.m. on Amthausplatz, followed by the Monsterguggete concert on the St. Ursentreppe.
- Carnival Tuesday: The parade winds its way through the city again.
- Ash Wednesday: The burning of the Böögg.
Exact program follows