The church of the Franciscan monastery of Solothurn, founded in 1280. The Gothic building in the typical style of the mendicant orders was an important meeting place of the citizenry and burial place of many local families. In 1529 the Franciscans joined the Reformation, the church experienced iconoclasm and was the preaching room of the Reformed in the city until 1532. After the Rebellion and the expulsion of the Reformed from the city, the Franciscans returned to the monastery in 1546. The church also served as a house church for the neighboring ambassade of the French king. In the years 1823 to 1825 the church received its present interior design in the classicist style. After the abolition of the monastery in 1857, the church became the seat of the new Christian Catholic parish in 1877, which was established during the Kulturkampf.