Its date of creation is 1628 and can be found on the cartouche above the spout. A water spirit stretches out its grim face towards you and water flows out of the tube into the hexagonal basin. Take a close look at the finely fluted column with the Corinthian capital.
The fountain was only moved here in 1960. Until then it stood in the backyard of the house at Hauptgasse 58 in Solothurn. Two years after the transfer, a copy of the column and the capital was made. The originals can be admired today in the Stone Museum.
The Gibelin Mill once stood on the site south of the fountain, directly in front of the façade of the Franciscan church. In 1918, Alfred Ulrich was the last miller to retire. It was not until 1952 that the mill was demolished. The Franciscan church was consecrated in 1299 as the monastery church of the Franciscan mendicant order. Since 1877 it has served the Christian Catholic community.
Guided city tours
Each of the 11 fountains in the city has its own story. The figures were used to teach the people. Learn more about the strict rules of water supply in old Solothurn on the fountain tour. A fountain tour is a good idea. Book right here.
Good to know
- The 11 fountains and their history can also be discovered during an individual tour of Solothurn's old town.