Even the very oldest depictions of the city show a storehouse on the Aare with a large gate facing the water. The Landhaus that stands today was built in 1722/23 according to plans by the city lieutenant Franz Brunner. For centuries, the Landhaus was at the heart of shipping traffic on the Aare, and of the city’s goods handling and trade, making it Solothurn’s commercial and cultural hub. Formerly known as the ‘Weinland’ (wine country), the Landhaus acted as a warehouse for wine shipments. The wine arrived labelled ‘Chargé pour Soleure’ (headed for Solothurn). It mainly came from the vineyards on Lake Biel and Lake Neuchâtel, where the Solothurn public hospital and wealthy citizens owned crops. A large fire destroyed the Landhaus on 5 April 1955. It was reconstructed in 1958, with its exterior remaining completely unchanged, and was allocated its current usage.
Hire for events The rooms in the Landhaus offer a wide range of options, and the venue is one of the largest in Solothurn’s old town. The large Landhaus room, pillar room, council room, seminar room and both foyers have natural light and can be set up with a variety of technical equipment, depending on the event requirements. Catering is provided by Palais Besenval. Enquire about the venue here.
Guided tour Where is its source, and where does it flow to? Up until the construction of the railway in 1857, the Aare was the lifeblood of the city of Solothurn. This tour tells stories along the river.
Book a guided tour now to find out all about the Aare.
Good to know
The Öufi Boat can stop right outside the Landhaus.
The Landhaus and Palais Besenval are linked via a beautiful baroque garden – the loveliest in the city.