St. Peter’s Chapel

Nictumgässlein, 4500 Solothurn

St. Peter’s Chapel, dating from 1654, is located on the site of a memorial from the fifth century – probably the grave of Victor, one of Solothurn’s two patron saints first mentioned in around the year 400. In around the year 500, Victor’s remains were transferred to Geneva and the chapel was dedicated to St. Peter. The current building features impressive early baroque architecture, with a monumental high altar by Niklaus Hermann of Beromünster, an intricately painted vaulted chancel and a wooden coffered ceiling with images of the Theban Legion and accompanying mottos.

Guided tour
As part of a guided tour, the remains of the previous buildings can be viewed beneath the floor of the chapel, unearthed in 1965–67.

St. Peter’s Chapel can be hired for services from the Roman Catholic Church.


St. Peters-Kapelle
4500 Solothurn