For a long time, Solothurn was staunchly Catholic, and the authorities only approved the foundation of a Reformed Church in 1835. Initially, the congregation used St. Stefan’s Chapel in the city. In 1866, the Reformed Church was able to construct a new building in the current location outside the city walls. The monumental church that stands today was built between 1923 and 1925 in the neoclassical style. The size of the building and its single tower were deliberately designed to echo St. Ursus Cathedral. The interior of the church features a pulpit and organ loft in bright colours and an impressive coffered ceiling with deep sunken panels.
Guided tour The 11 churches and chapels of Solothurn are well worth a visit. Book a guided tour now to find out about the city’s churches.