The Town Hall was moved from Hauptgasse to its current location in 1472, and was gradually expanded over the years into the complex that stands today. The impressive east facade comprises the central stair tower built in 1480, the archive tower on the left built in 1624, the treasure vault on the right built in 1707, and a monumental entrance gate in between. Another stair tower was built on the north side of the building in 1634, with an elegant spiral staircase designed without a central support. This stairway leads to the imposing Stone Room on the first floor. Today, the Town Hall is the headquarters of the cantonal government and Cantonal Parliament.